My daughter's 3rd birthday is approaching. As I look at the quantity of toys my kids already have, I a) feel somewhat ashamed at all the toys b) can't fathom adding to them. Our family members are so generous that after birthdays and holidays, toys really pile up. As I began planning my daugher's party, I comprised a list of possible birthday gift ideas other than the traditional toy:
- U.S. savings bond. Note that as of 1/1/12, the U.S. Treasury will no longer sell paper certificates at financial institutions. They will only be offered electronically. Click here for details.
- Financial deposit. This can be into child's bank account or piggy bank.
- Activity gift card. This can be to a local park district, YMCA, or similar organization.
- Required sports gear. Think soccer ball, shin guards, baseball, glove, tap shoes, leotard, etc.
- Museum or zoo membership.
- Books. Of course books are always great (and don't take up a lot of space).
- Activity books. This can be a subscription to Highlights, National Geographic Kids, or any reading or math activity book you can find at a local bookstore or superstore.
- Dress up clothes. This can be a princess costume for girls; or super hero, fireman, cowboy, or other character costume for boys. Even a pair of cowboy boots and a hat, or fairy wings and a wand will do.